On March 28, 1942, a decree was issued establishing the Sta. Teresita del Nino Jesus Parish, the original name of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish.
Enshrined within the temporary church was the image of our Lady of Lourdes. To keep the image safe during the war, it was moved from place to place, until it rested for a long time in the chapel of Sta. Teresita on Mayon Street. On February 10, 1951, the image was hidden and spared during the bombing. The church was inaugurated on August 15, 1951, by the Archbishop of Manila, Monsignor Reyes who officiated at the mass which was attended by many important people including the President of the Philippine Senate, Don Mariano Jesus Cuenco who represented the Spanish Embassy and Miss Gullon, daughter of the Ambassador. On January 24, 1997 Our Lady of Lourdes parish was declared a national shrine, with the approval of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines. The venerated image of Our Lady of Lourdes was canonically crowned on August 22, 2020. The National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes Quezon City in N.S. Amoranto St. (formerly Retiro St.) in Santa Mesa Heights is under the care of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. Dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, the church celebrates its feast or fiesta on February 11, the anniversary of the first apparition in Lourdes, France.